All I Want for 2015 is a Stress Free Life
It’s easy to make a list of all the healthy habits we should adopt in order to live a stress free life but in reality, although we may know what we are supposed to do we just don’t do it. Why do we continue to run around on the mouse wheel chasing our goals and putting ourselves into a tailspin only to end in failure?
Habit, is one possible reason. Our habits are so ingrained into our thinking that to change them just seems excruciating. Some habits we have owned for many years and they have become the culprits of our stress however, we just keep hanging on to them. Yes guilty as charged I am a work-in-process still!
Here’s a random example; routinely being late. (That almost sounds like an oxymoron…lol) We know what time we are supposed to be at work or at our appointments however, many of us feel like we must squeeze one more thing in before we walk out the door each morning. The infamous SNOOZE button; how many times do you hit it in the morning to get that extra five minutes of sleep? Then we rush around in a panic, eat the wrong kind of food, eat too fast, drive too fast, and rush our children out the door or out of the car as we skid into work like sliding into to home base. Think about the damage you are doing to yourself mentally and physically. Likewise, the damage we could do to others in our scurried attempt to beat the clock. Really…is it worth it? Probably not and we all know it but we still do it.
So how do we make the changes we need to make for a happier, healthier, less stressful life? We can start with a mindset change such as setting a specific intention, then tackling one change at a time, getting comfortable with that change before moving on to the next, generating more determination in achieving goals and being patient yet steadfast with ourselves.
• First, we must set our intention by saying it aloud, telling someone else that we are going to change.
~This works because it is the “accountability” factor; we have said it and feel obligated to do it. It becomes real and solid. Do not ask your loved ones to hold you accountable if you are going to give them a scowl as they share their observations. Be willing to accept their constructive encouragement.
• Keep it simple silly (KISS) Rome was not built in a day so make your goal(s) attainable.
~ SMART goals are: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time Based
~Change one thing at a time and sit with that change until you are completely comfortable; it is much easier than attempting to make numerous changes all at once.
• We must find or create a determination within ourselves to stick to the plan, the goal, or the new way of doing things. We must WANT it!
~This works because you are only going to be “determined” to succeed if you truly want it. If you don’t want it, it won’t work.
• You know the saying, “Good things come to those that wait.” Patience with yourself is essential until your new habit becomes ingrained in your brain and new neural pathways are created. The Grand Canyons were not formed overnight; it took time for their greatness to be carved out. The time it takes for your greatness to happen varies for different folks and different goals so be patient.
~This works because patience is a discipline, it not only helps with creating new habits, but it helps you to be more disciplined in other aspects of your life.
• Did you ever play a sport and your coach kept saying, “Do it again, again, again, again”? Have you as a parent tried to teach your child something new and requested that they continue to do the task repeatedly? You get the picture. Being persistent in creating a new habit will generate the results you want.
~This too is a discipline of sorts and we all know that if at first you don’t succeed, try try again!
As you can see this method is generic and can be applied to any stress that gets in the way of you having a less hectic life. Tardiness is just one example that many of us can relate to, unfortunately I know I can but as with many things in my life I am constantly working on goals towards my stress free life! I invite you to join me!
BE HAPPY & HEALTHY FOLKS
The rewards ROCK!